I wanted to take a break from my opinions of this week’s episodes because Leah and I had a LOT to say this week in our combined post, so let’s talk about the characters and their relationships (that we know so far)!
- Dok Go Ma Te – The Pretty Man. Raised by his mother, Kim Mi Sook, now deceased. Set with the task of conquering ten women to learn their secrets by Hong Yu Ra, his sister-in-law, so he can take down Na Hong Ran and gain access to his father, Park Ki Suk. Self-obsessed and manipulative.
- Kim Bo Tong – Friend and potential lover of Ma Te. Met Ma Ta on the bus and knew him further because her mother, Lee Mal Ja, is friends with Ma Te’s mother. Obsessed with Ma Te in all aspects and will go to extraordinary lengths to be close to him.
- Hong Yu Ra – Ma Te’s sister-in-law. Now divorced from Park Moon Soo, son of Na Hong Ran and Park Ki Suk. Also has a daughter with him, Park Seul Ri, now 6 years old. Bitter after being kicked out by Na Hong Ran. Gives Ma Te the task of conquering women so he can take down Na Hong Ran and learn the secret that will link him to his father.
- Choi David – Merchandise Manager for the MG Home Shopping channel. Falls for Bo Tong when she sells him a hat. Becomes friends with her after she tries to get him to buy the socks Ma Te is charged with.
- Na Hong Ran – Vice Chairman of MG Group. Wife of Park Ki Suk. Mother to Park Moon Soo. Grandmother of Park Seul Ri. Ex mother-in-law of Hong Yu Ra. Refuses to acknowledge Ma Te as a legitimate son and refuses him access to his father.
- Park Ki Suk – Chairman of MG Group. Husband of Na Hong Ran. Father to Park Moon Soo by Na Hong Ran and Dok Go Ma Te by Kim Mi Sook. Grandfather to Park Seul Ri. Currently sick and not actively part of the company. Known adulterer with multiple women.
- Park Moon Soo – Director of MG Group. Child of Park Ki Suk and Na Hong Ran. Ex-husband of Hong Yu Ra and father to Park Seul Ri.
- Jackie – Real estate tycoon. Former fiance of Ma Te who broke off the marriage plans because she decided she loved money more than Ma Te. Lesson to learn: The value of earning money.
- Il Rek (Electric Fairy) – Sorceress. Mysteriously connected to Na Hong Ran and blackmailing Hong Yu Ra. Lesson to learn: How to control the heart.
- Kim Mi Sook – Ma Te’s mother. Had an affair with Park Ki Suk. Friends with Lee Mal Ja. Passed away from cancer.
- Lee Mal Ja – Mother of Bo Tong and Dae Shik. Friends with Kim Mi Sook. Owner of a rib restaurant.
- Kim Dae Shik – Brother of Bo Tong. Son of Lee Mal Ja. Obsessed with martial arts. Loves to make fun of his sister although he will protect her from their mother when needed.
- Jang Duk Saeng – Friend of Ma Te.
I made a visual map, because I like visuals. Right now it is handwritten, but I’ll make a prettier version with pictures soon!
As of the end of Episode 4, I appreciate the amount of information they give about each character unless it will further develop the plot line, such as how Na Hong Ran and Il Rek are connected. For the most part these characters are distinct and I like their unique qualities. Personally, Dae Shik (played by Hoon) is one of my favorites! I laugh pretty much every time he’s in a scene and I enjoy the lightheartedness of the character.
What do you think of the characters in Pretty Man? Let me know below or tweet @Hallyu_Tanya!